Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Stars music

Stars is a work that reflects upon the intersection of gender and the history of science. The sound installation transforms astronomical data, digitally imaged on to 12" vinyl LPs, into unique tonal compositions reminiscent of radio astronomy recordings of pulsars. The strange yet somehow familiar music mediates the relationship of the data to the history of its production, as each LP contains the full-hemisphere astronomical data for the birth or death of one of several women members of the Harvard College Observatory, collectively known as "The Harvard Computers."

4 comments:

Diane Dehler said...

Dearest Moon,
I see you are in fine form and finding unique projects for us to read about.

Diane Dehler said...

Alas, this musical construct is beyond this poet. I have heard star music but only late at night when I could think no more.

Moon River said...

My Darling,

I'm sure you hear star and engels music, when your soul is tuned...
i'm sorry for not writting and talking much...when i'll be sattled at my new place i promis to write a long letter.

Diane Dehler said...

New place- that sounds intriguing. A good move for you, I hope.